Early on I had problems with my K3 and sudden death. A little history: When I bought the K3, I modernized the radio desk with Anderson Power Poles. Everything was done with Power Poles. A week or so after I got my K3, it quit in the middle of a QSO. I pushed the POWER switch and it came right back to life. It continued to work for a day or so, then I had a similar incident with my 2-meter rig. I came into the shack and it was off. I am not a believer in coincidences, so I pulled the desk from the wall. While the desk was moving from the wall, the K3 died again. I had my answer - something physical, such as wire movement was interrupting the power to my equipment. I spent an afternoon replacing the Power Poles with soldered/crimped spade lugs and a proper DC power panel with threaded posts and nuts etc.

I know how to put the Power Poles on, even have the proper crimping tool. However, nothing works as well as old fashioned methods. Sure, it isn't quick - but, I rarely have a need to disconnect anything on my main radio desk. I still have a few Power Poles in the system - that came factory produced (not my handy-work) - and they do give me trouble with the instant on back-up DC system. This weekend they will also get replaced - then I will toss the rest of that stuff in the trash. I know there are some wanting to argue the point - so be it - use them in your station. I choose not to.

Bill W2BLC K-Line