Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion batteries are used in many millions of cellphones, cameras, PDAs, laptops, etc., etc. every day. These batteries MUST NOT be OVERCHARGED or OVERDISCHARGED. The proper charger will solve this problem, and protection circuits also can even prevent overdischarge by disconnecting the load. These circuits are common in industry with these batteries.

Laptop, PDA, camera and cellphone batteries last a lot more than one year, as an example. Life expectancy is more like 3 years or better. It depends on many factors including the number of charge/discharge cycles.

Lithium chemistry batteries have very low self-discharge. If disconnected from any loads they typically maintain most of their charge over many years. For this reason they are far superior to other rechargeable technologies when it comes to 'readiness' after sitting in storage. They can also be maintained in standby charging mode, which often tends to kill other battery technologies.

I put a set of LiPo batteries into my K2 over a year ago and they are still charged and operating even though I've ignored them for almost a year. I have not used them a great deal, but they do hold their charge very well if disconnected. I always make sure I turn off the battery disconnect switch at the rear of the K2 when shutting it down. Details of my installation follow at the link below.

http://www.qsl.net/wb6zqz/k2/lipo_batteries.html

One day I had a discussion with Wayne (of Elecraft) regarding LiPo batteries, and I don't expect to see anything like that from Elecraft anytime soon.

The safest way to deal with Lithium Polymer batteries is to have a protection circuit packaged with the battery pack. This circuit prevents over and undercharging. These circuits are commercially available. They use low-loss FETs rather than diodes. Make sure they allow the high current drain required for your application.

-- Alan wb6zqz