That sounds very wrong to me, John. I have a K3 and a KX3 and audio is ample, on speaker and in earphones (including an old Heil ProSet). AF is at around 10 and never past 12 on either rig.

No problems here -- and I have a known hearing deficit: Totally deaf in one ear for close to 50 years and the "good" one is fading with age so I miss conversations in rooms and such if I'm not careful. Last Sat I woke up with no hearing in my "good" ear; fortunately it was wax, removed at the ER, or I'd have become a PSK31 (etc) only operator!

I've not tried any Elecraft mobile (my car has an FT-857 wired into it).

73, Phil w7ox