John,

You may have another issue but I thought I'd post what I'm doing.

First I did have a low RX audio issue. When I touched some buttons RX audio
would come up. That turned out to be a PL-259 not tight enough at least so far.

Second, if I use a heavy dose of NR, the volume sucks similar to what you
describe. What worked for me was to move Phones to external speaker.
You may need to provide an external volume control for headphones but maybe not
if you use phones only and not PHONES + SPK. My gaming headset has a inline
volume control.

I have a splitter on the EXT SPK and use PHONES + SPK.

DISCLAIMER: care must be exercised when doing anything related to the audio amp
circuit (EXT SPK). I always power off when plugging/unplugging.

73
Mike R

RIP- Mr 500.  STP's Andy Granatelli from racing fans everywhere.