All you say rings true. I've never been a fan of the error-correcting modes because they tend to slow things down; my digi mode of choice is PSK31. The diversity of the hobby is one of its marvels and accounts for me to its staying power: Some years I operate more and some years I build more, and sometimes CW is great fun and sometimes not, Right now I'm building my second KX1 (the first was in 2003) and enjoying it immensely -- though it does occupy me operating position for a while.

Elecraft has really contributed to the hobby. At the beginning of the century my K2 outperformed most commercial rigs, and 15 years later my K3 and KX3 do the same. And they -- Wayne, Eric, and Company -- show no signs of slowing down :-)

73, Phil w7ox