Mark,
 Glad the scouts had fun having QSOs. We need more young Hams added to our
ranks.

If the scouts are not licensed, you have to watch out not to violate FCC rules
regarding what is called 3rd party traffic. Occasionally, DX stations may ask
you to pass a third-party message to a friend or relative in the States. This
is all right as long as the US has signed an official third-party traffic
agreement with that particular country, or the third party is a licensed
amateur. But it also means that a non-licensed person on this side cannot talk
at a Stateside Ham station to Hams in certain countries.

The list of countries which the U.S.A. has 3rd party agreements with can be
found at:
http://www.arrl.org/third-party-operating-agreements

73,
Rich - K1HTV

= = =

Many thanks to all the Elecrafters who answered the boys' calls this morning.
They successfully completed their very first QSOs with hams in New York ,
Massachusetts, Mississippi, Arkansas and Montana. One of the Scouts, Zach, then
declared that he "wanted to work some DX!" (Yes, he really picked up the jargon
that quickly...) So I switched the radio to 15 Meters, and Zach began calling
CQ DX. Within just a couple of minutes, Zach had worked EI4HDB and an F1
station. He even tried out some of the French he has been learning in school.
He was thrilled!

I always enjoy watching youngsters experience the magic of shortwave for the
first time. It's a memory they'll keep for a lifetime.

73,
Mark  AI4BJ