Hi, Giuliano --

Congratulations on your K2. Once you have it whipped into shape, you'll find it to be a fine radio. Plus there's hardly anything in it you cannot work on and fix yourself if you build kits like the K1.

One of the K2 manual appendices is "Troubleshooting". You should give that a look.

Before you do any updates contact the previous owner and see if he can provide a list of any updates which may have already been done. I have #380 and back then the K2 was still a "work in progress" with most of us doing updates incrementally as they were posted on the Elecraft email reflector. For example, my K2 was something of a continual project from July 1999 until June 2003, and I made *most* of the changes identified during that period. Then I was away from my obsessive focus on ham radio for close to ten years. When I started using my K2/100 again I found that I had made most of the changes, but there were some left to do -- and some I didn't need or want to do. I made one of those changes I wanted earlier this month. Your seller of the K2 may have made most of the changes already, or some of them or none of them.

If you've not been there, go to this page http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#K2 and in particular download this file http://www.elecraft.com/manual/k2a2binstr.pdf It provides a list of the major changes in the basic (10 Watt) K2 and options. See if you can determine which have been done -- by asking the original owner or inspection.

You will probably want to update to the latest firmware, unless that's already been done. You can determine several firmware versions by using menu options from the front panel; others will require disassembly and looking at the label on the chip.

If you have the KPA100 there are other mods and updates which can be done (there is an update kit and a mod kit for the KPA100).

Have fun with your K2. I have the K3/P3 combo and find that the K2/100 still holds its own in that company.

73, Phil w7ox