That's been my experience too, Dave. SSB is not my forte ... severely compromised hearing ... but I do get into a small handful of phone contests [not WPX SSB, for the reasons you mentioned]. I had a borrowed 1.8 filter for awhile, and found that it really did degrade the audio. Conversely, I've never had a problem with strong adjacent signals using the 2.7 even though I've got a couple of close neighbor hams.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org