Reading all the advice given, it becomes obvious that there is not one "perfect" interface. But, I use the simplest one: two shielded radio shack stereo audio cables to/from the soundcard (mine are external to the computer) and the original USB/RS-232 adapter cable from Elecraft. That runs my digital sw and spectrum display programs.

I did have to add a second USB/RS-232 cable because of a unique situation where I needed RTS/DTR to connect to a separate com-port from the one with RXD/TXD. This is a special control issue for eme, which is probably of little application for the majority of readers (I have two programs running that need dedicated com-ports):
http://www.kl7uw.com/station%20layout.htm

Filters:
K3: FL1=13-KHz for FM/AM, FL2=2.8-KHz SSB, FL-3=open, FL-4=400-Hz CW, FL-5=open
KRX3: FL-2=2.8-KHz general purpose for diversity Rx

I don't live in a high RF density ham neighborhood so this is adequate. DSP filtering handles the main operating needs.

That works well for me, but your modes, hardware accessories, and sw may dictate a different configuration. Mine is always in process of change so I expect to make ongoing reconfiguration of my station.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: