On 4/13/2014 11:50 PM,
Message: 4
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 12:49:28 -0700
From: Jim Bennett<w6...@mac.com>
To: Elecraft Reflector Reflector<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Solving the heat problem in the KX3
..... Almost everyone running PSK31 is doing so with 15 - 35 watts, so a 3-4
watt signal isn't going to make a lot of QSO's. I did, but they were few and
far between. Even worse on the JT modes...
Don't disparage running 3 or 4 watts, or even less. Over the last decade, my K2 at 5 watts has worked 261 DX entities and at 1 watt 113, all digital, mostly rtty. Yes a tribander helped, but many of these qsos were on 40, 30, 17 and 12 meters with wire antennas. At one watt in CW DX contests it is possible to come within a few entities of true DXCC in 30 hours, and at 5 watts to go well over 100. Working in contests will help the KX3 to run cooler because of the very short transmissions. On JT65 or 9 try working split. Bottom line: be patient and expect to be at the end of the line.

73, Dave, K2YG