1.  When in transmit using SSB, I am getting some sort of audio feedback
only when I have the monitor level turned up.  The louder I turn up
Monitor, the more feedback I get.

2.  I have somehow turned off the NR for SSB mode only...  When I press
the 8 key, (NR), I get N/A if in SSB mode.  If in CW, it works fine...

1) If you're using the monitor function without headphones to monitor
with...that's your problem. In other words, if you're monitoring via a speaker
instead of headphones...this is creating the feedback loop which will only get
worse as you "turn it up". Put your headphones on to monitor. You're ProIII
(assuming you still have it) was no different.
2) Not a clue...I'm sitting in a bar with my lovely & not in front of the radio
so if indeed "8" is the NR function...press it & hold it to access the "setting
function"...choose what is most effective...tap it to turn it on & off. Not a
clue as to why N/A is displaying...not a clue...unless of course; as you
suggest, you somehow turned it off in the menu somewhere. Probably best not to
change to much in the menu until you get more familiar with the radio...Fred's
book is a must IMO.

KD0BCF

"Two possibilities exist...
Either we are alone in the universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying."

                             Arthur C. Clarke