Some follow-up questions:

OK, I have the KX3 and K3 configured with the KPA500 and KAT500.  Everything
seems to work with one little exception.

The exception:

    --- initial conditions, K3 is on and switched to use the KPA500 and KAT500.
 KX3 is off.

    --- using K3 and so on works fine with amp on or with amp in standby.

    --- I turn off K3.  Leave KPA500 on but in STBY mode.

    --- Switch coax from K3 to KX3 (1x2 switch).

    --- Turn on KX3.  KPA500 still in STBY mode.

    --- Attempt to switch KPA500 to OPER from STBY but switch does not work.
If I power off the
         KPA500 (front panel switch) and power back on then switch works fine.

I have experimented with all kinds of starting initial conditions and order of
events but whenever
the KPA500 is left on after using the K3 and then switching to the KX3, the
switch on the KPA500
to go from STBY to OPER does not work.  I always have to cycle the power from
the front panel on/off
switch.

What have I done or am I doing wrong?

Note:  all functionality works fine with this one exception.  With the current
power settings from the KX3
I am getting about 135 watts output from the KPA500 into my hex beam and also
my 80-meter dipole.
SWR is about 1:1 TUNED via the KAT500 on dipole and I usually operate the hex
beam in bypass and this
has a 1.2:1 SWR or there abouts.

73, phil, K7PEH