In analog filter design, you get to choose between good phase performance and
good amplitude performance. You can't have both. If you want a flat passband
and steep skirts, you'll get wonky phase. The Chebyshev filter is a good
example of controlling amplitude response. If you want good phase performance,
you'll get a gentle rolloff from the center frequency and long, shallow skirts.
Bessel filters are a good example of that.

None of these are completely linear in phase response, but the Bessel filters
are better.

The usual approach is to choose a filter with steep skirts that is wider than
you need, so you can use the middle of the passband where the phase response is
not so bad. Then do additional filtering in DSP, where you can have good
amplitude and phase performance at the cost of delay. Better filters, more
delay.

There is no free lunch, it's physics.

My analog filter design textbook was by Van Valkenburg, though it is fairly
math-heavy and dang! textbooks are expensive these days.

wunder
K6WRU
BSEE Rice University 1981

--