It allows you to use a separate antenna for receiving. Often such an antenna
can provide a superior signal-to-noise ratio than the "main" antenna,
especially if you're using a vertical for transmitting. I have a wire a
couple of feet above the ground running along my fence that often provides
superior reception over the doublet up high, especially on the
lower-frequency bands where QRN is more of an issue. QRN, especially
man-made QRN, is less pronounced down near the ground.

Of course, such an antenna has a lot less "gain" than a wire up high, which
means it's not so good for transmitting, but gain is not a concern in
receiving on the HF bands. The rig (especially the K2) has far more gain
than necessary to overcome the losses in almost any antenna. So the whole
story is in the signal-to-noise ratio. The better the S/N ratio, the better
your K2 will hear, regardless of the gain of the antenna.

Some dedicated people have even built underground doublets, letting the
ground shield them from QRN while signals, although attenuated, are cut much
less allowing them to hear signals their huge skywire up high couldn't
detect.

Of course such underground antennas are well insulated from the earth, often
placed inside water-tight pipes.

Other options are to use a small rotatable loop that allows you to null out
QRM and peak the signal.

Just because a transmitting antenna hears as well as it radiates does not
mean that it's optimum for receiving!

Ron AC7AC