Excellent post.

I learned more than ten years ago from a group of guys in the Black Hills that slowing down to about 22-25 wpm when running gets more answers than "showing off" and cranking the keyer up to 35+. These guys can all do 50+ head copy but slow it down intentionally to attract more contacts. It works. For about 6 years in a row they were one of the top ten 1A stations during field day. Maybe if the big contest guns did the same we wouldn't have the visceral anti-contest attitudes displayed, and get more people involved.