On 5/4/2014 6:49 PM, Russell Conner wrote:
"Several decades on 2m and 1.25m tells me that what Phil says is true: he should be able to get 30 miles (or more) reliably in all but the twistiest terrain."

Except I keep saying over and over we ARE IN THOSE TWISTIES.
and the hand helds are effective only part of the time. And yet, no one seems to be listening to me on that point. It gets frustrating. Hell, I am very frustrated.

We're frustrated too.

I never told you that your handheld would absolutely work. In fact, I'll tell you flat out that when you're in the twisties, the only sure-fire solution is to put a repeater where it can see all of the twisties. Depending on the twisties, you might need more than one repeater, crosslinked.

I don't know if anyone else on this list is (or was) into VHF Amateur Radio Direction Finding (T-Hunting) as practiced in Southern California. I can tell you from several years of working my way to the top of that aspect of the hobby that we consistently found places that lead the competition into the twisties where they lost the signal, and sometimes never found their way out.

T-Hunting is scored by driving distance, and one night we set up a hunt where the winner drove 50 miles (straight line was about 20 miles) and fourth place drove 110 miles.

If you're looking up at the terrain, talking to someone beyond the ridge is going to be nearly impossible. If you're in a hole, talking to someone outside the hole is just not going to work.

You can't get what you want. You can get 95% of it, and you can get better than you're doing with 5 watts. I'm trying to get you to think about your antennas and how they work because I think you can get some improvement there, and that's usually fairly inexpensive.

... and I pointed out the Motorcycle Amateur Radio Club because they're likely far more expert at your specific needs than I. I don't ride.

We saved you from buying a very nice, very trick, slightly expensive radio that will do a lot, but will not work as well for you as a high-power 2 meter rig that costs much less. I also spent some time tracking down an example of an amplifier, and a link to the antenna pages on the MARC web site.