I have imperfect recollections that the source of the term "roofing filter" came from the idea that the filter put a "roof" over your receiver to prevent very strong, off-frequency signals from getting in. You'll need to crank up your imagination here ... similar to the roof of your house keeping out things falling from the sky while desired things can still enter through the doors. I did say "imagination." :-)

I do also agree, it's probably not a particularly descriptive name, but the filters do have a purpose in SDR's like the K3. I think most of the thread was aimed at the differences between the various filters available for the K3.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org