David Gilbert <xda...@cis-broadband.com> wrote:

> Actually, a roofing filter does exactly what it says.  It protects against
> ...  i.e.,  does not allow to pass ... out-of-passband signals from affecting
> the ADC or hardware AGC.  It's a "roof" against unwanted energy and a window
> for desired signals.  So would you prefer to call it a "window?"  Have at it,
> but that doesn't alter the fact that its fundamental purpose is to protect
> ... protect the ADC and protect the AGC so that they can perform their
> function properly.   And it doesn't mean that anybody will recognize what
> you're talking about, which is probably more relevant than the semantics
> involved.

In receive I.F. applications, a crystal filter is used as a very narrow (very
high-Q) band-pass filter. It cuts off unwanted signals above and below the
desired passband. In a modern superhet like the K3, the crystal filter augments
the DSP in a subsequent I.F., providing improved ultimate rejection and steeper
skirts.

In some implementations you can slide the I.F. associated with the crystal
filter to the left or right of the nominal receive passband, so that the filter
acts, in effect, like a low-pass or high-pass filter, working against the
center frequency of later IFs. This can be useful in protecting the downstream
I.F. on one side, but not the other. Narrow filtering takes care of both ends.

Radios that don't use hardware roofing filters of some kind typically have
worse blocking dynamic range (BDR) than those that do. For example, the K3 has
typical BDR of over 140 dB, 15 to 20 dB better than radios with no hardware
filtering (i.e., pure SDRs). This is why a K3 outfitted with narrow filters
works well for contesting, Field Day, and DXpeditions; it won't get desensed by
either the wide- or narrow-spaced onslaught often experienced in these
situations.

73,
Wayne
N6KR