A wire laying on the ground will have more capacitive loading and will
electrically longer, so it can be shorter than a 1/4 wave.

But all this depends on lots of assumptions, so just throw some wire out there
and have fun. One common "random" length is a 26' foot wire in the air and a
16' wire on the ground.

wunder
K6WRU
http://observer.wunderwood.org/