Hi,

having used the K3/0 mini for a few weeks now here are some observations, maybe they can be taken into account to make the product even better.

Display
The mini is used in tilted postion like the KX3. So I would have expected the same display like in the KX3 to be used, i.e. with a "6 o'clock" viewing angle. Sorrily it's not, it has the original K3 display ("12 o'clock") so you cannot see anything when the mini is on the table, it's not readable! That's a big big minus! :-( You have to put it almost vertical (difficult as it has it's center of gravity too high, so it easily tilts over the front then) which is impossible with the bail supplied/mounted, it's too short. :-(

Documentation
The manual gives a lot of hints concerning remote use itself but lacks completely concerning the hardware of the mini itself. :-( There is a 3,5 mm jack on the back for PTT. Is it mono or stereo? Likewise for the headset connection, no info. I suppose it's stereo for mic as well as headset but would be good to have the info documented. Is there any bias on the 3,5 mm mic input? I suppose yes as when I connect sound from the computer to do digimodes it stops after 2 seconds, i.e. seems conflicting with the bias so putting the circuit down. So it must be isolated if used with hardware not expecting bias! Besides this it seems the headset connection is hard-wired against the mic socket and speaker meaning when-ever you plug in a mic into the 3,5 mm socket the 8pol round socket for the hand mic is automatically disabled, no software choice. Same for the headset socket, as soon as you plug in phones the internal speaker is switched off. Even configuring it through the menu (SPKR + PH = YES) just on the K3/0 mini itself (without a connection to the remote K3) does not change the behaviour. That's a pity as it would be good to still have "local" audio when a cable is plugged in, otherwise a little difficult to tune in RTTY stations. ;-)

There is a wiring diagram for the connection from the K3/0 mini to the RemoteRig boxes but no info on what signals are on which pins (yes, you can reverse-engineer it from the RR boxes). Also no info that you do not have to use an external power supply for the mini when used with the RR boxes, they obviously *do* supply the voltage through the backside connector to the mini (found out by "mistake", hi).

All the documentation issues are not that big a deal for somebody knowing how electronics work and can be guessed (as I did) but I am sure for other guys they might be a problem. And it's sure not what we are used to from Elecraft.

The display on the other hand *is* a big problem/design error. How are other guys using the mini? Cannot imagine nobody else has trouble with it?

That's it for the moment. Maybe additional findings in the future. Besides the things noted I really love the mini + remote K3, cannot imagine to go back to my old Icom remote station (with separated front panel, too). ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

--

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de