To be honest I already waited for the first such comment to appear. Sorry Slava, this is not against you personally. I simply cannot hear all the praise anymore for cases which were wrong right from the beginning (and from people not even owning the product in question). Amazingly I already got a number of private emails from other customers comfirming the problem and ranting themselves. They just do not want to do it publicly (for what-ever reasons) but are all disappointed as well. Even a few who did contact customer service and did not even get an answer. What's the service level then?

Yes, I like Elecraft, too. I even like them, their attitude and their products very much! Meanwhile I own 2 x K3's (with ATU, sub-RX & 2 m option), a KPA500, a KAT500, a KX3 with all options and now a K3/0 mini. I'm even a fieldtester for their KX3-2M. So I probably am what one would call a loyal and valued customer. Nevertheless I'm not a Koolaid drinker and tell Elecraft if things are wrong (and they certainly appreciate it). This is what everybody should do.

This specific problem has nothing to do with good customer service but with quality control. Good customer service would have been if they did not even ship with the wrong displays as they knew about the problem! If they did not know about it (which I doubt) they did not even test it themselves during development (which I doubt, too). Every 4 years old child would have recognized you can't read the display if you put it on the table as designed. That's the reason why the KX3 is delivered with a 6 o'clock display instead of a 12 o'clock display like the K3. Same design. And we are talking about production units here! Would have had full understanding if it was a test unit and problem discovered during FT or the like. This is what FT's are for. And we are talking about an obvious problem! I understand there are things that will only be discovered after a product is on the market already and maybe a thousand units in use. This is were Elcraft shines in and finds solutions. Hats off! But not for such an obvious problem.

Imagine buying a car (that has been on the market already and was test-driven before) and recognizing the car lights will only shine for 5 m instead of 200 m. What would be your reaction? Shure it's nice if your dealer tells you "Oh yes, I will take care of the problem." but that is only good customer service in the second instance. Sure you would still be angry. First instance would have been not to deliver these cars to customers at all or change the lights before delivery already as they knew the lights were not the right ones, wouldn't it?

I'm now waiting how customer support will solve it. Hopefully in a manner that will not put me offline with the remote as sending it back to CA, let them change it and ship it back to Germany would at least take 4 weeks if not longer (ordered all my stuff directly from them so I know how long it takes). That would certainly not be good customer service.

And yes, there are quite a number of other (very) good suppliers with great customer service, too.

Rant off. And flame-suite on. ;-)

73, Olli

--

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de