On 6/16/14 at 11:30 PM, j...@audiosystemsgroup.com (Jim Brown) wrote:

4) Don't waste your time with SSB on FD. CW can be reasonably competitive QRP, and a lot of fun. SSB only be described as a struggle, and is definitely not fun. Been there, done that, burned the Tee shirt. :)

The last detailed QSO/mode/band I can find is from the West Valley Amateur Radio Association's in 2011. We were 7A (battery QRP). We had 3 HF CW stations, 3 HF SSB stations, an HF digital station, a GOTA station, a satellite station, and a VHF station.

While our prime goal for field day is to have fun, we have fun by erecting the best antennas we can, trying to get as many people on the air as possible, and ending with a good score. We set the all-time record for 7A that year and have set a number of other records for various numbers of transmitters in other years.

Call: K6EI
GOTA Call: W6ZZZ Class: 7A QRP
QTH: Mora Hill, CA Operating Time (hrs): 24
80:  119    84     0
40:  325   169    46
20:  639   195    87
15:  339   135    11
10:    0    41     0
6:     1    37     0
2:     0    16     0
222:   0     2
432:   0     5
1.2:   0     1
    1423   685   144

Total Score = 20,845
Comments:
QSO Points x Power Mult = 19,095 GOTA Bonus Points = 1,750
Total QSO Points + Bonus Pts = 20,845

Note that while most of our points came from CW, significant number of points come from phone and digital. As you get into the larger number of transmitters, QRP digital and phone become an important part of the mix. QRP digital is always fun and gives good scores. QRP SSB is fun with good antennas and propagation.

73 Bill AE6JV