I concur with all of the tips except the saying “Don’t waste your time with SSB on FD”.

I know this borders on an executable offence by the Morse Inquisition Army, but I don't LIKE CW!

I did fine last year on Field Day running strictly SSB with the battery powered KX3 and a couple portable antennas. No, I didn't set any records, but then again, this is not a hugely competitive contest. Maybe that's why it is so named. It's purpose is to exercise your, or your club's ability to set up and operate an emergency radio system. The contest part of the equation is simply to substitute some purpose for the lack of the need for any real emergency communications at that time.

Burgers, beer and bugs are all part of the fun.

73, Charlie k3ICH