Since Eric seems to be on vacation or otherwise indisposed ...

With full credit to Richmond Johnson, a colleague at work and retired USAF Col, I think the problem with "going metric" is that we all have a "Knower" inside our head, as he said. I "know" what a mile is. I have body parts that help me know what an inch, a foot, or a yard are. On the highway, I can probably tell you when we've gone a mile to within maybe 200-300 ft. I "know" what a pound is, give me a brick and I'll likely hit it within a few ounces. Yes, my Knower knows what an ounce is too.

Ham radio as a teen exposed me to metric ... 80 and 40 meters.

While in uniform in SE Asia, I learned metric for good. It took awhile for my "knower" to know what a kilometer was without translating to miles, but it did, and now I just "know" what a kilometer is, same for meters, centimeters and millimeters. I "know" how hot my KPA500 is when it says "60C". I have to think to relate that to deg F, and I don't care anyway.

At one point a number of years ago, CalTrans began putting both miles and km on road signs. I don't think there are many left. It's probably going to take a generation or two dying off [one might be mine :-))] before the move to metric will accelerate. It's moving very slow now, furlong by furlong, it does seem really slow.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org