Hi Hans,

The first thing to check for is insufficient power-supply voltage as measured
by KXPA Utility on key-down at full power. This is the usual reason for lower
power output. If it's too low, you might try any of the following: shorten the
supply cable, double up the cable (there are two APP jacks), adjust the supply
voltage slightly higher (it's rated at up to 15 V), or make sure you don't have
high-drop fuses or other devices in-line with the cable.

Power output of the KXPA100 is specified as:

   Max. 100 W @ 13.8 V, 1.8 to 29.7 MHz (80 watts 50-54 MHz) PEP, CW/SSB/DATA,
+/- 1 dB

And as noted in the specs, maximum power output, as well as the drive power to
reach a given power output, both vary per-band.

Your results do fall into that +/- 1 dB spec range.

However, we actually test the amps at 100 W in the factory and it is very rare
that they don't make 100+ W on all HF bands. (We could have specified it as
-0.5/+1.0 dB based on our cumulative test results.) We tested competing
amplifiers that use the same PA devices, and they too have a wide range of
drive required and max output, varying per-band, and sometimes a dB below 100
W. This is typical of available 12-V-class MOSFETs.

I do have a task on my list to increase the maximum allowed drive from the KX3
when higher power levels are used. We've been very conservative in this regard,
so far, since KXPA100s are often used with marginal power sources and antennas
in the field, or mobile. We don't want to over-drive, which could result in
splatter or distortion of the KX3's virtually click-free CW key shaping.

If you need further assistance with this, please contact customer support.

73,
Wayne
N6KR