more power, the 3.1W amplifier is going to die when asked to produce
more than 150 W of peak power.

In a properly engineered design, the amp may clip like crazy, but it should be able to survive such abuse indefinitely....

73, Ross N4RP

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-07-01 3:28 PM, Dave Hachadorian wrote:
I guess I've blown the speaker amp IC in my K3 again. This is the third
time this has happened, twice in one radio and once in another.

In this case, the radio had both the AF Output Mod Kit (pair of 470 ohm
resistors) and the E85056 Audio Protection Assembly Circuit Board
installed.

I was operating on Field Day, with headphones, as I usually do, when
some onlookers wanted to hear what was going on. I flipped
SPKRS+PHONES=YES, then along came a strong signal, and poof! no speaker
audio.

AGC SLP was zero, and AGC THR was 020. Front panel AGC was FAST.

This failure is really getting old, especially at $120 a pop to get it
fixed.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA

.

Message delivered to li...@subich.com

Message delivered to n...@n4rp.com

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum
transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”