HI Gang:

I also use RUMLog, and it does an excellent job of logging. I'm not a constester, so I haven't tried RUMPed, but I'd wager it does the job as well. I also use CocoaModem.

However, there's another option, which I used during Field Day, and that is the hardware device, Ham Central Terminal. The HCT is designed to connect to Elecraft's K3 or KX3 (which is what I use) via the RS-232 port on the rigs. The HCT is a good option for field use, since it is a stand-alone device, and can run many hours on an internal 9V battery... or external power source.. 12V is just fine.

The HCT "expands" the character display from the Elecraft rigs, so that you can see up to 80 decoded characters. The decoding is done by the rig, so you need to use it with a K3 or KX3. But, CW, PSK31 and RTTY work nicely.

The unit also has a logging function, and all you need do is input the other station's callsign, and the exchange.. which can be signal report, section, etc.. any text characters. It will also generate an auto-incrementing serial number, if that's needed for a contest or event, and the number can be embedded into a macro string. There's an internal clock which time-stamps the logged QSO, and the log file includes your frequency of operation and mode. The HCT is also capable of transferring the log file into a computer via RS-232. ADIF format, IIRC.

The HCT is not a laptop, and won't offer the features of a laptop. But then, while I would not want to drop my HCT off a cliff... I =sure= would not want my laptop to suffer that fate. The HCT is -far- less expensive. It's good in the outdoors, too, since it uses a transflective display making it readable in bright sun.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211