Eric --

Thanks for sharing the recordings.  I've heard fists somewhat like that
but none quite so distinctive.  I tried to figure out what makes the swing
sound the way it does.  I don't have a scope or any other device to
visualize or capture it, so this is just by ear - it seems that his dahs
are much more than three times as long as his dits, and that the leading
dah in a character that begins with a dah is longer than the following
dahs.  Maybe someone with the right equipment (and the time to spend on
it) could do a better analysis.  I would be interesting to know.

Both the K3 and the KX3 allow for some personalization (as do many other
rigs), by changing the weight ratios -- i.e. the ratios of dit length to
dah length and of the element length to the inter-element spacing.  There
may be other variables in the F/W as well that I haven't looked at.  I
have never played with it, being an old stick-in-the-mud 3:1 curmudgeon;
but I've wondered whether an idiosyncratic weighting would help make a
signal stand out in a pile-up or make for better copy in the QRM . . .
Anyone know?

Ted, KN1CBR