I wouldn't intentionally develop an idiosyncratic fist to make me stand out, but in the 60's I could identify all of my regular on the air ham friends by their individual fists without every hearing a call.

The main characteristic of the Lake Erie swing was dots send at about 40 wpm and dashes at whatever the op chose. It was easy to send very fast dots with a bug (being automatic!), but dashes were much slower for most operators. I think the rationale was the 40 wpm dots brought the overall speed up, even though the op was still sending dashes at a lower capability.

Eventually, though, I think the LE swing just became a dialect that propagated through a particular set of operators (Erie Canal for LE swing and marine ops for banana boat swing?), and spread from there. It may not even have been any more efficient--it was just the way you sent in a particular group to identify yourself and be accepted. The same way that non-Southerners start using y'all all over the place an hour after they land at a Southern airport.

I don't have a K3, so I don't know if it can be set up to replicate an LE swing. It could if you can independently vary the speed of dots and dashes. You wouldn't have the sometimes difficult corruption of random extra dots and weird variations in dash length, but you could have the best of LE swing which was the lilt and charm of the faster dots. If I were to try it, I'd probably set dash length to 20 wpm equivalent and dot to 40 wpm. It would be fun to try, but not everyone likes to hear a Lake Erie swing--or Southern accents for that matter.

Eric
KE6US