OK, thanks for the recordings Eric. It isn't unique to hams, or to Erie Canal RO's. I worked Coastal Marine from So California in 56-57 while I was a senior in high school. That "swing" was fairly common, as were a large number of fists I can only categorize as "truly sloppy," like an air traffic controller giving a clearance with a mouthful of marbles.

His signal was clean however, and very easy to copy. Transmitters afloat were usually powered by M-G sets which often modulated the carrier with a whine. MCW from an audio oscillator was common on 500 Kc [emergency receivers afloat were usually unpowered crystal sets with no BFO], and key down dragged the M-G down. The result was a carrier that chirped, sometimes through the passband of my receiver, a steady whine that chirped, and the MCW audio that chirped, each in it's own key and tempo.

I sort of assumed the name came from the RO's on the freighters in the Great Lakes, but never really knew.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org