Here's a short bibliography from the 1960 Handbook ...

Brann, "In search of the Ideal Electronic Key",  Feb 1951
Bartlett, "Compact Automatic Key Design",  Dec 1951
Kaye, "All-Electronic 'Ultimatic' Keyer", April & May 1955.

I'd bet you're looking for the Kaye articles - all of 1955
is here: https://archive.org/details/qstamer00amer

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-07-04 6:48 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
I knew there was a history to this.  Related question:  About the end of
1956, I and a couple of my teen friends built "electronic keyers" from
some magazine article which is long gone from my memory.  I remember
they had 8 or so dual triodes [12AT7's/12AU7's ??], had self-completing
dots and dashes, and nothing else.  With the power supply, mine weighed
about a small brick and was similar in size. Used a relay for the
then-ubiquitous cathode keying.  We modified our bugs to key them.

I'm fairly certain the design pre-dated the TO-Keyer, I think the TO
came about 10 years later, and as I recall used fewer tubes.  If any
OT's remember the 50's well enough to identify my keyer, I'd appreciate
hearing from you.  I had an opportunity to operate as HS1FJ for a few
weeks in the mid-60's, Dad sent me my keyer and Lionel J-36, and when we
went back to war, I never saw either of them again.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

For that matter, why are there two Iambic modes in the first place?

The original "Curtis" Iambic mode completed the element (dot or dash)
being sent when [both] paddles were released at the same time.  The
iambic mode in the AccuKeyer had a logic error - the element memories
were set as soon as the previous element completed - that completed the
element being sent and then sent the *opposite* element if both paddles
were released at the same time.  This became known as Iambic B to
distinguish it from the original Curtis iambic (Iambic A) mode.

Message delivered to li...@subich.com