On 07/15/2014 06:35 AM, John K9UWA wrote:
Do TV Stations and Radio Stations and Cellphone towers disconnect all
their equipment everytime there is a storm in the area?

Obviously the answer is NO they don't disconnect and they don't even turn
their equipment off. Yet is survives direct lightening hits on their towers and
equipment.

I volunteer for KBBF-FM, the local bilingual community broadcast station here in northern California. The antenna is on top of Mount Saint Helena, north of Santa Rosa. Compared to some areas of the country, lightning is not common here.

However, about three years ago the electrical pole that feeds the transmitter shack was hit by lightning. The pole exploded and ended up in pieces on the ground:

http://kbbf-fm.org/images/DamagedPoleM.jpg

The electrical service entrance meter was blown off the wall. We found it lying in the grass about 30 feet (10 meters) away from the building. The main transmitter was fried and had to be removed for repair. The 950 MHz STL (Studio to Transmitter Link) antenna was also damaged beyond repair but, surprisingly, the STL receiver itself survived.

After repairing the electrical wiring inside the building we were able to get back on the air using the backup transmitter, the backup STL system and the emergency generator.

I think the moral is that it is pretty much impossible to absolutely protect against a direct lightning strike. If I lived in an area where thunderstorms were common I would make my station as lightning-hardened as possible and ALSO disconnect everything when a storm is imminent.

Alan N1AL