To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:30 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] CW Keys

Tom W3QS wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, and I guess I already know the answer,
but is this for real?

See GD907WS at http://www.mtech.whsites.net/ghd/

What could possibly make a key worth 1250 bucks?

--------------------------

The GHD keys have an excellent reputation for workmanship. The expensive one
you are looking at is not really a "bug". A bug is a semi-automatic key that
makes dits while the operator makes the dahs side-swiper style. That big GHD
key is an all mechanical fully-automatic keyer! (Sort of a Babbage machine
for CW!)

It makes both dits and dahs. The only thing it doesn't do is the automatic
space between dahs and dits.

In addition most of those keys, including the expensive one, have no
mechanical contacts. They use optics to trigger a circuit closure, thereby
avoiding the issue of keeping contacts clean.

Is that all worth the money? Not to me, but it appears to be to a number of
operators...

It's also worth realizing that there's a growing amount of pure "humbug" out
there in "Electronics Land". One company is featuring cryogenically-treated
parts for tube-type amplifiers. Yes, they claim to super-cool tubes,
capacitors and other parts and say that once the parts have experienced
those very cold temperatures and returned to normal room temperature, any
amplifier they are used in will have a 'sweeter, smoother sound'. Apparently
they have takers.

Old P.T. Barnum would be laughing his head off...

Ron AC7AC