Lee;
A DDS VFO does have some issues when used to directly drive a transmitter. The biggest one is spurious outputs. These may be only 70 dB down from the carrier and a few kHz to 100's of kHz away. Now when you are running low power, such as the KX1, this doesn't matter too much. But if you directly run a kW from a DDS VFO, you may make some other folks not too happy with your spurious outputs.

-John
KI6WX

I've been researching the DDS VFO topic on the Internet and found that somethings have been done in this area in the USA, but most of the sites are found in Japan or Europe. Why has the DDS-VFO type of circuit caught on here? I am looking for a kit or a project I could build for some Xtal control rigs I have rather than buy Xtals. Seems to me that would a nice way to go. I know that Flex Radio has done quite a bit of work with DDS and so has Elecraft. I wonder if there is a market out there for DDS VFO technology and a crystal replacement....

 Lee - K0WA