Well, you just described my day job. We sell hardware (Ethernet
controllers) and the driver I support is open sourced Linux and FreeBSD.
There are also closed-source versions but I only do backup-support on
those.

Yes, it would require more support on Elecraft's end but it wouldn't be
impossible to manage, just hard. There's a lot of repeating, "If you
can't reproduce it on the official X version driver, then you're on your
own." But then again there are a lot of bug fixes that other people can
do for you.

I don't blame them for not doing it, but I'm still on the "It would be
nice" side of this.