of the first mixer - *before* any noise blanker gate.  To confirm this,
examine "K3 RF Board 4 of 4" from the June 2010 K3 Schematics package
(on-line) and you will find the IF tap from which the P3 is fed is
connected to pin 1 - the input - of J77 the NB connector which is
*before* any NB action.  In order for the hardware IF to be reflected
in the P3 the P3 would need to be fed from pin 7 of J77 (NB output).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-08-15 12:56 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 8/15/2014 9:36 AM, XE3/K5ENS via Elecraft wrote:
I am
saying that on the P3 screen with the NB on I can see weaker signals
than I
can see on the P3SVGA screen.

http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm  Scroll down to see a photo of how the
SVGA compares to the P3 screen.

Repeating my advice -- to see very weak signals, we need to do a lot of
averaging to get rid of the noise. This is not a "blanking" function,
but rather how averaging a spectral display causes random noise to
cancel itself out, while discrete signals do not. There are separate
display settings for the SVGA and for the P3. The SVGA settings are
accessed via the SVGA selection on the Menu.

Also -- the K3 NB is really two NBs, and the one that looks at broadband
noise DOES work in both the P3 and P3SVGA.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to li...@subich.com