Manual tuner - Manual amplifier:

Or, any tuner and amplifier - tune with low power and radio only to start.

I don't use "tune" unless I am using the internal tuner.  Set your tune
power setting to 4 watts, place your amp in standby, press xmit (xmit only,
not tune) get your tuner properly adjusted, press xmit to release, turn your
power output down to 4 watts, enable your amplifier, place your radio in CW
mode, tune to a frequency CLOSE to where you want to transmit - NOT on top
of other QSOs, use your CW key to cause the radio to transmit, tune your
amplifier and refine your tuner settings, let off the key every few seconds
to not heat up everything, if your are happy with the current settings,
increase your power out slowly as you watch it on each increase until you
have achieved the output power you are looking for.

1 lower your output power
2 Transmit only a few seconds at a time
3 Find an unused frequency - close is plenty good
4 Tune with your radio without any amp
5 When happy, enable the amp
6 Adjust settings
7 Increase power slowly