Well, I have to put in my 2 cents worth.   First off, putting a carrier on the
air to tune/test/analyze a antenna is probably not the correct thing to do.
The reason is simple, if it is a new antenna you have no idea what the R and X
numbers are for where the j0 point is, correct?  Then with all of the antenna
analyzers out there, take a look at the antenna wideband........  That's right,
wideband.  Why spend endless amounts of time trying to "Tune Match" the antenna
and cause unnecessary signals on the air if you don't have to??????

Second, use the modern tools available.  And not just a ATU.  The whole idea of
putting up a antenna is to understand what it is and how best to put RF power
into it.  Sure the ATU can match an antenna that is a MegaHertz high in
frequency and at your target frequency it is 200 ohms.  Why not use a 4:1 balun
and make the ATU not absorb the loss of matching?????

OK, My method is not new, but I think it serves repeating.

New amplifier.  Not automatic, one that requires band and tuning settings.  DO
it into a dummy load, write down the numbers.

Take the analyzer and find out where the antenna is resonant.  Yes, it will be
more efficient if it is resonant where you want to operate.

Of course if it is a weird configuration, then at least write down the R and X
numbers for the frequencies of interest.

Then take the steps necessary to limit the loss in the system.  Baluns if
necessary, tuners of your choice.  But use the analyzer to "tune and match" the
antenna, record the numbers.

Then hook up the radio, amplifier, tuner, etc and if necessary fine tune the
final settings and record them for future use.

Next time you decide to switch bands just use the presets you recorded.  Less
interference on the bands, and less stress for the equipment.

OK, There is my 2 cents worth, like someone else said, back into my hole.

Mel, K6KBE

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:54 AM, Jim Miller <jimmil...@stl-online.net>