Gareth and all,

Yes, Spectrogram (or other audio spectrum analyzer) is *the* way to set up the K2 filters with ease.

A slight variation on the N0SS plots, which were done with the original 2.1 kHz OP1 filter is to alter the position of the 2.4 kHz width OP1 filter slightly. Set markers at 300 Hz and 2600 Hz and move the BFO to position the passband between those two markers.

If you align it that way, you will have a suitable filter in FL1 for both transmit and receive. In other words, there is no need to also set FL2 to the OP1 filter.

I have aligned many SSB filter sets that way for my customers and have never heard a complaint. I adjust the other 3 filters to be progressively 200 Hz more narrow than the prior filter (using Spectrogram to measure the actual width of the filter). I normally adjust FL2 to a measured 2.2 kHz width, FL3 to 2.0 and FL3 to 1.8 kHz. On many K2s, the actual filter width is greater than width shown on the display. The low frequency -6dB passband corner of the FL2 filter is set at 350 Hz, FL3 at 400 Hz and FL4 at 450 Hz. The low frequency end of the passband cannot be cut very much without loosing intelligibility, but the high end can be cut considerably to eliminate QRM while retaining intelligibility.

73,
Don W3FPR