To: "David Cutter" <d.cut...@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] BNC v TNC

Hi David:

Yes I have seen counterfeit TNCs. The assembly I worked on had two BNC, two TNC and one SMA. Only the SMA, which was receive only (GPS), did not have problems. The connectors were cast and had mold marks. Resistance was supposed to be a few milliohms but measured 10 times that. They were inferior in just about every parameter. They had no manuafacture's mark at all so impossible to trace beyound the Chinise distributer we bought them from. Vaseline is good but will run a bit in hot sun. (Is that a problem in the UK?) I use a silicon grease from 3M. It was listed as stopcock grease but worked perfect at all temps. I like a silicon rubber tape or RTV (type 1) for wrapping. RTV has the nice advantage it can be applied around water without drying.

73
Fred