Hi Larry. Bet you get a lot of responses to this one! I've had considerable experience comparing the K2 to other rigs but it's been a long time since I've had a TS-940S so any comments that I might make trying to compare it to the K2 would be useless. I do remember that the 940 was a very nice rig - worked lots of dx under adverse conditions with it and generally thought very highly of it. I'd probably just repair it!

As to comparing the K2 to other "modern" radios, you might want to read the review I posted on eHam of my K2/100. Go to: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2357

and look for my review under my call sign:  N4HH

I can tell you that the "other" two rigs mentioned (in addition to the Collins) but not identified are the Icom 756 Pro II (had 2 or them at the time and a Pro III a bit later) and the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V - loaded with INRAD filters (almost $1000 worth including the roofing filter)!

The other radios are excellent, have many desirable features and present themselves very well - but - well, check out the review.

Just one person's opinion so YMMV. Now what I really wish is that I could take the guts of the K2, add a couple of additional features and put it into a Collins KWM-2 box. To me you just can't beat the aesthetics of the Collins S-line gear - but that's another story! 73 es hv fun -- Don N4HH, K2/100 #2028, KAT100, K1 #1456, KX1, etc, etc!