> Another way to look at this is that our ear is most sensitive to > frequencies around 2 kHz (roughly) and so you really want to put as > much of your power in that region as you can. In this way, you're > using the response of the other op's ear to your advantage.

Not entirely ... equal loudness curves show peak sensitivity around
3 KHz independent of sound pressure levels.

Human voice has very little energy between 700 Hz and 1200 Hz with most of the power (fundamental energy from the vocal chords) between 200 and 500 Hz with sibilance and unvoiced energy (sounds made with the tongue, teeth and lips) that contribute to "definition" (consonants) in the 1400-4000+ Hz range. The ear needs a balance (although not 1:1 relationship) between lows and highs for best intelligibility.
Yes, very true as I discovered recently. I added a hearing aid to my only functional ear a week ago and found not only improved volume but improved freq response (in retrospect, not a surprise!). Now folks with high, "squeaky" voices are much more intelligible than they were before.

The downside is using headphones: I've preferred an Apple ear bud and have quite a collection. So I'm experimenting with new headphones vs. removing the hearing aid. I tried one over the ear type, well reviewed, that resulted in a sequence of chimes in the hearing aid -- not a good sign.

So now I can hear ESSB better -- but I still don't like appreciate it: Big hog of bandwidth, IMO. And it's so easily recognizable on my P3 or PX3.

73, Phil W7OX