can achieve nearly the same interface as Vista or Windows XP with the
added reliability of Windows 8 under the hood.

I have both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems with Classic Shell and
I would not bother with Windows 7 on a new system - nor would I even
consider upgrading hardware that will not support Windows 8 given the
sub-$500 price point of quality new i5 based systems.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-11-19 10:39 AM, Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:
Your experience is exactly why I avoid changing OSs as long as possible.
When I do, I take it as an opportunity to drop applications and features
that I haven't been using - no need to port what you won't use.
Nonetheless, it's always odious. However, I must say that converting to Win
7 was a really good move for me. It boots faster and runs much more
reliably than XP on my setup. Now I'm trying to avoid Win 8 and expect I'll
skip it entirely. Totally new OSs from Microsoft tend to be flaky until
their second incarnation.

73,

/Rick N6XI