Let's see... You're supporting making the contact, hand writing in the log
details, taking the time to fill out, mail then wait for a returning QSL card
all to fill your day.

I submit that electronic logging, with automatic upload to services like LOTW,
Clublog, QRZ and getting a near immediate return confirmation results in one
huge benefit... I can get back to operating quicker to make more contacts (be
it DX, a contest or a ragchew).  It's simply a more efficient use of time,
sometimes in places where time and numbers matter (like contests).  It allows
me to do more of what I want to do, operate.

I also use a remotely controlled station, automatic antenna tuner and antenna
switch and an instant on amplifier.  I started with much less and I enjoy the
reduced load on me so I can focus on different things and enjoy them more.  I
know I can manage with less but have no desire to return to my earlier stations.

I look at it as combining my interests (and toys like computers, networks,
radios) into ways that make things both complex to set up (any modern radio),
but easier to use once that is completed.  It has allowed me to do some super
cool things such as having my morning cuppa while watching the sunrise on an
Alaskan volcano while participating in the local 'old guy' net at home, several
thousand miles away, thanks to the new technology I use.  (I bluetooth audio to
a laptop or iOS device and use the remote control features of my home station
from the same device.)  I can go back to old school, but at what cost in this
example?

In fairness, the 'new' method of logging and QSL isn't as elegant or personal
as receiving a hand written card, akin to texting instead of mail or a phone
call compared to email.  I get that.  But with the limited time we have in this
place, I'll take the fun over the tedious.  I'll leave the personal touches for
the contact itself and hopefully recontact that station on several band/modes
to develop a relationship over time.

73 es Happy Christmas,
Rick, WA6NHC

iPad = small keypad = typos = sorry ;-)