I learned on a Vibroplex single lever paddle and a Hallicrafters HA-1 TO Keyer. That was in the 60s.

Single lever paddles appear to have gone the way, as most of the current rigs (K3 included) do not well support such a key. Hence, I built a little box with a couple of 2032 batteries in it, a keyer chip, and a pot. It is attached to the side of my trusty single lever paddle. I connect it to my 480 or K3 as I would a straight key or a bug. No big deal to me.

Of course, I am old fashioned. Imagine, still using a single lever paddle in this modern age of whatevers that can number messages or entries, self log, and maybe even time the turkey roast.

Bill W2BLC K-Line