Some years ago I was a volunteer fireman in a small Upstate NY town. On one of
our pumpers, a '58 Mack, one of the two (redundancy, y'know) battery strings
(two huge 6V batteries in series) was self-discharging if the rig sat idle in
the barn for more than two or three days. Determined to find out why, I went up
to the firehouse one night with my multimeter. I disconnected the negative
terminal and hooked up the meter. One of our younger guys was looking over my
shoulder and asked whether there was any reason why I had disconnected the
negitive terminal instead of the positive. Wow! Here was my chance to show off
how smart I was. I explained that when working on a vehicle battery, one should
always first disconnect the negative terminal, because that way, in case the
wrench made contact with the vehicle's frame, there would not be a big short
circuit current!
I then proceeded to demonstrate this for him by bridging my wrench from the
negative battery terminal to some nearby metal. It was at that moment that I
discovered that Mack trucks of that vintage had positive ground!! Ever see a
box end wrench instantly get converted to an open end??

73
Ray K2HYD