Thanks to all for the great info, and esp. Walter and others who suggested
the reading material from Jim, K9WC, I'll make that a priority to digest.
I hadn't thought about the PC sounds, so given the way I operate, I'll
probably opt for the external sound card.  I love my PC sounds, and have
custom sounds for lots of events, including the band edge alerts, and
sounds from other programs that I usually have open when I operate. I'm so
silly with my sounds I have a 4-port mixer here in the shack that I pipe
everything into to drive a pair of old speakers.  Looking forward to
experiencing whatever stereo effects are offered in the K3 using that setup!

(Hint: Feature request: Stereo CW where the center of the passband is in
the "middle", with lower freqs going left, and higher freqs going right...)
;)

I started the build last night, looks like I'll be done in one or two more
evenings.

See you all on the air!!

Thanks again,

Chris
K1AY
Punta Gorda, FL

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.