Nick,

In your original probelm description, you did not state how much power the
K2 display was indicating - and I would tend to believe it indicated that
the power was near the requested power value.

Of course, the actual power was not that high, but since the base K2 uses an
RF probe type detector to determine the power output level, it only responds
to the RF Voltage present, not the actual power.  If the effective impedance
at the K2 end of the cable was high, the RF voltage would also be high
there, resulting in a lower actual power output than the K2 micropressor
thinks is present.

Bottom line, the RF probe detector can only report the power output properly
when the load resistance is known (and athe K2 assumes that is 50 ohms)- in
your case, because of the bad coax, the actual load resistance was unknown,
and the K2s calculation of output power would be invalid.

Hopefully that helps with your understanding of what was happening. I would
believe that your cable could have had high resistance connections (likely
corroded), but almost anything could have been possible since the electrical
characteristics of transmission lines is not straightforward at RF because
it depends on the frequency and the electrical length - recall that a
shorted transmission line will look like an open circuit at the end opposite
the short when it is a quarter wavelength (or multiple) long (and look like
a short at the near end at a frequency where it is a half wavelength long),
and in between it will appear electrically as an inductor or a capacitor.

73,
Don W3FPR