Dave,

Maybe I overlooked it in your initial post, but I did not realize you had no microphone connected. Given those additional facts, I also believe there is some kind of bug causing it. It is good that you noticed it. I don't think the majority of K3 users use it for AM mode (even though it does a good job there) and may not have noticed.

73,
Don W3FPR