WHO GOES ON THE WATER WITHOUT PROPER EQUIPMENT AND EXPECTS TO USE HAM
RADIO TO BAIL HIS/HER BUT OUT IS A FOOL.

That the Maritime Service Net has bailed out fools who were too cheap
to purchase/install proper safety equipment only proves that the nets
are populated by equal numbers of fools intent on enabling dangerous
and foolish behavior.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV

On 2015-01-21 6:56 AM, Milverton M. Swire via Elecraft wrote:
I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!
  > The contesters I know are up to here with "nets" comprised of operators
  > with ancient and el cheapo radios defending the frequencies they "own,"
  > justifying their "ownership" by calling them traffic nets, or "maritime
  > nets" but almost never passing traffic and never checking in anyone on a
  > boat, and rarely doing much more than checking in. Now, there's nothing
  > wrong with any of that, but it gives those operators no more right to
  > the frequency they have selected than the contester who hears an empty
  > frequency, asks QRL?, hears nothing, and calls CQ.ANCIENT AND EL CHEAPO -
Reeks with Condescension.
There are documented instances where the Maritime Net has come to the
assistance of distressedboaters on the high sea.
Copied from the previous post.
  >  Sadly, when a major contest comes around i am forced to hide on the WARC
bands.
   > If not "open" then i find something else to do.   > I have all 8 pole filters but they dont
help when a rude station blasts away less tha 1kc up/down from me running crap audio, an amp            >
getting its ring flogged and a rig with all the knobs slammed to the right.> Oh, and we cop it from EU and the
US.....Geography is irrevelant it seems..> No point in asking either.....>  It is what it is i guess.  >
73  > Gary
  > Vk1ZZ
Ham Radio is not only about Contesting!

((((73)))) Milverton.